Sunday, August 3, 2014

SUNDAY, AUGUST 3


SUNDAY,  AUGUST 3: 
      A wonderful day of biking!  We did our routine of parking near Info Center at Stanley Park, and then took off with the bikes along the Seawall, but this time heading southwest, past Lost Lagoon, to Second Beach, and then south along English Bay til the shoreline and seawall do an impressive sweep all around False Creek, past Granville Island, to Kitsilano Beach, where the seawall runs out.   It’s about 6 miles one way. 
     When we first started out, the path merges with a couple of blocks of city streets.  They were jam-packed with people, which we expected on a weekend (a 3-day weekend, at that).  But we quickly learned that they were lining a parade route.  A parade for what, we asked.   Gay Pride.   As we cycled further on, weaving our way through the crowds, we saw some very colorful outfits and costumes!  I don’t think we’re at the Lake St. Louis 4th of July parade! 
     Soon got out of the congestion of downtown, and had a simply wonderful few hours of leisurely cycling.  There were lots of people out cycling, walking, roller-blading, but, really, not a whole lot more than during the week, and, as on the seawall loop through Stanley Park, everyone observes the rules about which lane to be in, speed limits, etc.  We saw more beautiful beaches, lots of boats out on the water,                                    
                                                               


jaw-dropping gorgeous skyscape views,
                                                  




 tranquil green parks, whimsical or dramatic urban sculptures,
                                 


 all under a canopy of warm sun and bright blue sky. 
     Made a pit stop at Granville Island.  What a delightfully easy way and fun way to get there! 
                                                         
                                  the island's Public Market sign  as seen from across the water at False Creek:

Completed the path to Kitsilano Beach, took another respite, and then headed back.   Made one last stop at Lost Lagoon, as it was about 4:30, and we wanted to eat downtown, but were a little early.  So we just found a park bench in front of the lagoon and its waterfall, watched the geese and ducks and swans, and then we both actually dozed off.  Power naps.
     Pedaled on towards Denman Street, a colorful and exuberant street with lots of eateries.  Karen had told us about one of her favorites,  Banana Leaf, which has a location on Denman.  Specializes in Malaysian food, which is kind of a mélange of Indian, Chinese, Indonesian, & Thai flavors.  This was just a hole in the wall place – couldn’t seat more than 20 max, I don’t think.  But we were immediately welcomed and seated.  We ordered two appetizers – spring rolls and a roti, which is a sort of flaky naan bread.  Both were so fresh and delicious, made even better served with yummy sauces.  Then Bill ordered their Gulai Seafood – several kinds of seafood simmered in a spicy Gulai sauce (coconut milk, ginger, lemongrass, turmeric, a couple of other exotic spices I’d never heard of).  I got Mango Chili Tiger Prawns.  Both of us swooned with delight at our first taste.  I had another white Sangria.  Not quite as good as the one I had a few days ago, but still refreshingly delicious.  And Bill continues to try new local beers (and his old favorite, Guinness).  The service was very warm and friendly.  We told the manager that a friend of ours from Calgary recommended the place, and he was very pleased.
     After not being able to eat another bite, we biked to the truck in the perfect evening air.  It was a wonderful day for us – a perfect way to end our stay here.  We can now say that we biked (or walked) every mile of the Seawall, and saw nearly every part, from nearly every angle, of Vancouver’s magnificent downtown skyline.
     And another gift of today:  my tight, sore muscle pain seems to have all but vanished.  I’d been  having really bad muscle pain around my lower back for about 3 days.  I could barely bend over, turn from side to side, or lift myself out of bed, and Bill says that at night when I’d try to turn over, I’d moan and cry out in my sleep.  Don’t know how I got it – but I’m pretty sure either from our first bike ride around Stanley Park (all of our bike riding here has been done on our regular bikes, not the recumbents), where I used muscles I don’t normally use, or else from being so tense during our truck misadventures downtown.  But I felt pretty much OK standing or sitting, so I felt that I could do this bike ride.  Soooo glad I did – I guess I just stretched and opened up whatever muscles had been clenched up.  Bill says that’s how the Lord answered his many prayers for me.    


Completed the path to Kitsilano Beach, took another respite, and then headed back.   Made one last stop at Lost Lagoon, as it was about 4:30, and we wanted to eat downtown, but were a little early.  So we just found a park bench in front of the lagoon and its waterfall, watched the geese and ducks and swans, and then we both actually dozed off.  Power naps.

     Pedaled on towards Denman Street, a colorful and exuberant street with lots of eateries.  Karen had told us about one of her favorites,  Banana Leaf, which has a location on Denman.  Specializes in Malaysian food, which is kind of a mélange of Indian, Chinese, Indonesian, & Thai flavors.  This was just a hole in the wall place – couldn’t seat more than 20 max, I don’t think.  But we were immediately welcomed and seated.  We ordered two appetizers – spring rolls and a roti, which is a sort of flaky naan bread.  Both were so fresh and delicious, made even better served with yummy sauces.  Then Bill ordered their Gulai Seafood – several kinds of seafood simmered in a spicy Gulai sauce (coconut milk, ginger, lemongrass, turmeric, a couple of other exotic spices I’d never heard of).  I got Mango Chili Tiger Prawns.  Both of us swooned with delight at our first taste.  I had another white Sangria.  Not quite as good as the one I had a few days ago, but still refreshingly delicious.  And Bill continues to try new local beers (and his old favorite, Guinness).  The service was very warm and friendly.  We told the manager that a friend of ours from Calgary recommended the place, and he was very pleased.

     After not being able to eat another bite, we biked to the truck in the perfect evening air.  It was a wonderful day for us – a perfect way to end our stay here.  We can now say that we biked (or walked) every mile of the Seawall, and saw nearly every part, from nearly every angle, of Vancouver’s magnificent downtown skyline.

     And another gift of today:  my tight, sore muscle pain seems to have all but vanished.  I’d been  having really bad muscle pain around my lower back for about 3 days.  I could barely bend over, turn from side to side, or lift myself out of bed, and Bill says that at night when I’d try to turn over, I’d moan and cry out in my sleep.  Don’t know how I got it – but I’m pretty sure either from our first bike ride around Stanley Park (all of our bike riding here has been done on our regular bikes, not the recumbents), where I used muscles I don’t normally use, or else from being so tense during our truck misadventures downtown.  But I felt pretty much OK standing or sitting, so I felt that I could do this bike ride.  Soooo glad I did – I guess I just stretched and opened up whatever muscles had been clenched up.  Bill says that’s how the Lord answered his many prayers for me.       
      As pretty as the drive from Vancouver to Squamish was, I have to say that it’s pretty nice being only 5 minutes away from “home” once we leave Stanley Park!
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment